Friday, October 25, 2013

Oh Happy Day! (Blogger's Quilt Festival)

Okay! So when I read about The Blogger's Quilt Festival hosted by Amy at Amy's Creative Side I knew immediately the quilt I wanted to share with you!                    
 (Also, welcome if you are new to my blog). Here it is:
If someone where to ask me: "Val which quilt have you made represents your heart?" This would be the one! And....ironically, THIS is one of my very first quilts!!! (I kid you not!) It started from a spontaneous visit to a mall bookstore which inspired this sketch:
It was the Fall of 2010 and I had just starting quilting. I wanted to quilt but I was struggling. I  was taking classes at the local quilt store, but found I really hated precise 1/4" seams (though I totally admired the workmanship of others ...I felt like something was wrong with me because I didn't care if my seams where precise!! But I couldn't tell anyone that!) I was also bored  following patterns and I was always the one who kept changing things up in a class. LOL!! Then one day, walking around one of those big mall bookstores, my daughter brought me to a section of "creative quilting"...let the sun beams shine out from behind the clouds! THIS is what I want to do! I immediately bought numerous books and starting sketching! I was inspired! I found my quilting  genre!

This inspiration was followed by a weekend retreat that found me equipped with 2 yards of black fabric, a crate full of scraps,a  purchased rainbow of fat quarter bright tone on tones, and a sewing machine I literally bought at a garage sale! (I was a little embarrassed once I got there...but I didn't let it show! LOL!). You guys, I literally was the last "woman sewing". As others were closing down their stations...I was exclaiming: "Just one more bird!"

I got lost in creating birds 

with long polka dotted legs...


Small birds with floral wings,


And lets not forget about butterflies...



Bumble Bees...


and Turtles! (I mean who could stop!?)


Oh and don't even get me started on how much fun I had creating the border of this quilt when I got home! (My studio had fabric flying!!! And I loved it!!!)

Wonky Stars!!1

Fussy cutting















THIS QUILT REPRESENTS ME FINDING MY STYLE AND FALLING IN LOVE WITH QUILTING!!!

Quilting love!

So there ya go! I've entered this in the Wall Hanging Quilt Division because truly every morning I stumble out of my bedroom in my flannel polka dot jammies and head down this little hallway to the bathroom and....


...it always makes me smile and reminds me that every day is truly a....HAPPY DAY!
Life can not be better than this! 
Thank  you so very much  for stopping my blog and reading my story,.
In appreciation, and as always, with smiles!
Val:)

My quilt stats:
Title:  Oh Happy Day!
Made by: Me: Val Reynolds
Size: 55"x57
Category: Wall Hanging

A BIG Thank you to Amy for creating such a very 
cool festival of quilting inspiration!!!



22 comments:

  1. I love your enthusiasm and zest for quilting! I have been quilting for about 11 yrs now, and still feel that way. This is an outstanding quilt. Your color choices and creativity are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing your story. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a happy fun quilt. Good luck with your entry. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun and cute! Enjoy the festival :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one is crying my name. I love bright colours combined with black, as you may see in my two quilts in this festival. And I love free piecing blocks. Thanks a lot for all inspiration you give me through this blog post. I'll follow you with Bloglovin' to get even more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is fabulous and I'm so glad that it was your inspiration to finding who you are as a quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really special quilt, Val! Not just the quilt itself, but the story of you finding your quilting groove! Amazing!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about making someone smile! I LOVE the quilt and those birdies could turn a bad day around !! Love them. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation Val! Keep inspiring. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. A bright and happy quilt that celebrates the joy of quilting! Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt with such original designs. Love the story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This quilt just sings to my heart. I love wonky quilts! Yours is just precious and thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laughing so hard with tears running down my eyes. I love your post and your quilt! I love all the happiness that you bring - everything you do is like a great sun shining day! I just pictured you coming out of your bedroom in your polka dots (which by the way I own black pjs with various colored polka dots. You must love Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston quilts? Very happy and improv quilters just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love everything about this! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so cute and I love cute!!
    LeeAnna Paylor

    ReplyDelete
  14. It couldn't be anything but a happy day when you gaze upon your gorgeous quilt!! 'Tis filled with sunshine, whimsy,happiness and glorious colour and pattern!! Love, love, LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just nominated you for the viewer's choice, because I really adore this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'm what very awesome comments!!! Thank you!! We never know how our work will be seen in the eyes of others...your kind words have been very reaffirming and empower me to keep following my heart! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! I LOVE this quilt! It is so bright and so happy! I too love free piecing - you can't make me follow a pattern. How wonderful that you found your quilting style and just took off! Keep on going! You're gonna do great things.

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...