Sunday, August 23, 2015

Organized for a New School Year!

Aughhhh, the first day of school is behind me and the new school year has started.
 I'm happy to report that our district redistricted some students and I did NOT start the year with the projected 36 students...but 29. (I know, that's still a lot of second graders, but  I'm use to 28-30.) I have to tell ya though, it feels good this Sunday morning to be sitting here at the blog, finding myself getting back into old routines of spending the morning visiting your blogs and completing misc. household chores, looking forward to a long walk with Jackson and some afternoon sewing!

I'm grateful to start my school year organized and ready to go. Thanks to my Dad! During his visit in June he made those wonderful green, classroom shelves pictured above. I'm trying something new this year: no individual desks. I turned all the kids desks around and they are all raised to the same height with the legs are zip-tied together. This year the kids will be working as four individual teams. (Oh man...and no more messy desks!!!)

As I watched my Dad work this summer, I was reminded of the importance of Math in my teaching.  I'm very right brained and well, need to remind myself of this often!! LOL!! I'm totally looking  forward to this opportunity of having "tables" for my students to work on as they discover and learn, especially when working with Math manipulatives. (Okay, and art projects too!)
 Whether quilting, knitting, or building, Math really is an intertwined skill isn't it?

The building begins.

Thank goodness, some right brained fun of painting always seems to follow!
Anddd as I get back into my studio, without a doubt I'm particpating in Lorna's Dog Gone Cute QAL/Blog Hop! I can't wait to make a Jackson quilt!!! I'm looking forward to picking out fabrics and getting my coloring page done this afternoon! Until then...happy sewing!

Val's Quilting Studio
Everytime you link and share here at Tuesday Archives you will be entered you into a monthly drawing for a $15.00 Gift Certificate to: (pretty cool huh!)

Winners will be announced the first Tuesday of every month! Thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

  1. Hi Val! Your class room looks super! So inviting and happy! I wish you all great, fun lessons! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great project your Dad did for your room - love the look and color makes for a fun learning room. And you finally made me get that pattern. But I won't get to it until much later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed those shelves right away!! Brilliant of your dad and so organized for you!! Lucky kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for wonderful, creative people like you who go the extra mile to help kids. I hope you and your students have a wonderful school year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your class is a wee bit smaller. My grand daughter's start school next Monday. We were laughing, the oldest is attending school at the middle school where both her mother and I attended school. Love the shelves, and I can totally relate to trying to have a neat desk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks nice, Val! Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your classroom looks like a lot of fun...almost makes me wish I was in second grade again :)

    Can't wait to see Jackson's quilt...please give him a pet from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Those are stunning classroom size numbers! Good luck with the new table configuration. I am not an educator, but I love the team approach. Have a wonderful year! And I too love that Dog Gone Quilt pattern! Looking forward to seeing Jackson in fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those green shelves - perfect that there is one for each group - their responsibility to keep tidy! Hope you don't go above 30 students. Is 2nd grade about 7years old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea they are seven and most loose their front teeth year...its so adorable!!!

      Delete
  10. Happy First Day of School!!! Great that your Dad was able to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your classroom layout. I never thought of such a floor plan when I taught Kindergarten. The shelves at the ends is great organization. I know how much table space is important for those manipulatives!
    Have a great year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 29 kids is still too many, but it is better than 36! I love the green book shelves. You are very organized which is essential. Glad you are getting back into the routine. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad that you didn't end up with 36. Wishing you a very good school year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teach your kids lots of math! My son recently said, "I never thought I would be using math." But he is running a metal shop where he uses math every day. My other son is a computer systems analyst and our daughter is finishing her college degree majoring in English. Whew... none of them liked math. But it seems they are using it in their world sphere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maths is so important and here in the UK if the students do not get a grade C in English Language or Maths when they are 16 they now have to keep retaking till they do a very good idea but feel sorry for the students that have a mental block with figures. The shelves look good I could easily find room for some of those here in my home

    ReplyDelete
  16. First thing I noticed in the picture was the bright green shelves! So inviting and cheery. Here's to the best year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the use of color in your classroom from the new shelves to the curtain and bulletin boards. Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. As another year to explore and learn and inspire. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your classroom looks exciting Val - like great things will happen there this year! So glad the district got sensible! Your Dad's shelves are super looking!
    Yup - those good old math skills are so useful. Unlike what people say when joking, you really do need them in life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bright and happy classroom. Love the useful green shelves, very practical. Can I borrow your dad sometime?

    ReplyDelete

I have to admit, your comments make me smile! Thanks for sharing and for letting me know you stopped by. I Hope your day is awesome!

Val:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...